Monday, January 5, 2009

No Monday Blues


I bet many of you out there are feeling kinda blah today - back to work after a long holiday break, perhaps? Now is probably a good time to name a couple things you're thankful for. Here's my list for the day:

1. Published again! A few months ago an article I wrote an article that was published in a local magazine. Recently I sent another column to them but hadn't heard anything. I get a free subscription to the publication since I've been published. The January issue had been sitting on my table for 3 or 4 days when finally last night I opened it up. And my name was in the table of contents! They published my column without letting me know, but who cares! It was very exciting to see my name in print again.
2. Dramatic Clouds - this morning I drove to the gym and truly enjoyed the beautiful sky. Thick, dark clouds were opening up and showing glimpses of a bright orange sky. Very impressive.
3. Hot tea - I was enjoying a delicious cup of hot tea while I made my list, so I figured I'd include it. It helps to be thankful for the little things.
4. Naps - now that I'm unemployed, wait, self-employed, I can enjoy a nap now and again. I thought I'd want to nap all the time, but most days I'm so busy or engaged that I don't need to. But it's a nice option to have.
5. The Lake - I live by a lovely lake with a 2.6 mile running/walking path. Right now I'm taking advantage of the free two-week gym membership, but once that's up I'm back out in nature.
6. Music - I lovelovelove music. Except when it makes me cry, which happens pretty frequently. Okay, I admit it, sometimes I even like it when it makes me cry.
7. Colors - have you noticed I'm into art, nature, etc? It's the colors. I love them. Sometimes they make me cry, too.
8. Scrabble - Even though Anthony has been kicking my butt lately, it's a good way to learn new words and usually more entertaining than what's on TV these days.
9. Grocery Stores - you probably, like me, take for granted the fact that you have every food under the sun available to you, probably 24 hours a day, right down the road. Today I popped in to buy some vegetables and tempeh and thought, "wow, I am so glad I don't have to plant and harvest these vegetables myself. Because they would die and my family and I would starve."
10. Automobiles - couldn't get to the gym, the lake, the grocery store, and many other places without them. Although I am definitely hoping in the future we'll have communties where it's safe to bike and walk to places.

What are you thankful for on this back-at-work-Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm grateful for your comment!